ADAM Audio S6X
ADAM AUDIO S6X
The S6X main monitor is designed for large control rooms and film studios. It uses a symmetrical concept to increase the realistic reproduction of ADAM Audio monitors to higher sound pressure levels. ADAM Audio has avoided the typical overloading of the bass range that can often be found in main monitors. A wide horizontal radiation characteristic and moderate vertical beaming are crucial factors to minimize the impact of ceiling and floor reflections and achieve neutral sound reproduction at high volumes.
Extended D’Appolito design
A total of seven individual speakers were arrayed so that gradual transitions could be made possible given the size of the cabinet. In addition, we chose a horizontal symmetry that can be described as an extended D’Appolito configuration. This kind of design combined with suitable transition frequencies and filter slopes results in radiation patterns that lead to very consistent reproduction characteristics in the horizontal center position. At the same time, vertical dispersion is reduced so that reflections from the ceiling, floor or mixing console are greatly reduced. Thus, so called ‘early reflections’ have less chance to interfere, which leads to significantly better stereo imaging and a more three-dimensional sound.
Further progress in development was achieved by the use of Alucore® panels, an extra firm component material with an aluminum honeycomb core. All drivers of the S6X and S7A Mk2 are mounted on such panels, which considerably improves mechanical coupling between the drivers and the cabinet.
The S6X: accuracy and power
A number of innovative approaches in conjunction with uncompromising effort in all sonically relevant areas make the S6X one of the largest and most sophisticated active monitors currently available. The horizontal symmetry design is conscious of harmonic and generous diaphragm area proportions to achieve not only a flat frequency response, but also a consistent dynamic behavior within the entire frequency range. Complex orchestral structures can be easily analyzed and spatially arranged on the S6X. Extensive control options on the front panel allow for adjusting to different acoustic situations or personal taste.
The built-in amplifiers are coupled to the respective drivers as directly as possible so that remote amplifier units do not compromise the advantages of active technology. One 500 Watt amplifier is assigned to each of the 12″ woofers, while 250 Watt units are used the other bands of the frequency range. This main monitor combines very high accuracy exceptional power: SPL peaks far beyond 130 dB are produced without any compression or harshness. The S6X is an excellent choice for large control rooms and film or sound studios.
In addition to the input sensitivity that can be adapted in the range of ±10 dB, there are four other level controls that affect the individual amplifier modules. Shelving filters at both ends of the frequency spectrum and three fully parametric equalizers help compensate for standing waves in the control room. The EQs can be inserted separately or grouped so their effect can be directly evaluated.
- 4-way symmetrical extended D’Appolito driver configuration
- 2 x 12″ HexaCone woofers and 2 x 9” HexaCone midbass drivers
- X-ART tweeter and 2 X-ART midrange drivers, handcrafted in Berlin
- Ultra-light, extremely dimensionally stable woofer material (HexaCone)
- Spacious bass reflex ports on the front
- Wide horizontal dispersion with solid stereo and multi-channel imaging
- Directional sound radiation in vertical plane mitigates ceiling and floor reflexions
- Highly efficient 2,250W PWM amplification with dedicated amp for each of the 7 drivers
- Linear frequency response of 23Hz to 50kHz
- Maximum peak sound pressure per pair at 1 m ≥ 133dB
- Sophisticated onboard room acoustic adjustments
- Analog XLR front and rear inputs
- 2 year warranty; optional extension to 3 years upon product registrationct
- Sold individually